With all the technological advances, hearing aids have become sophisticated instruments despite their small size. Their electronic components are housed in shells that frequently encounter heat, moisture and earwax – all of which can cause damage. Before bringing your devices in for repair, try troubleshooting at home. By taking the time to service your hearing aids on a regular basis, you can prevent problems from developing and extend their life.
First and foremost, clean your hearing aids on a daily basis. This doesn’t have to be an in-depth job; simply wipe them down with a clean, soft cloth. Avoid using water, solvents, alcohol or cleaning fluids. When not in use, store them in a protective case to avoid dust and dirt. Take them to your audiologist every few months for a “clean and check” appointment. Even with regular maintenance, hearing aids may at some point need repair especially if you have had them for more than five years.
If your hearing aids aren’t working properly, try the following techniques for a quick fix.
- If there is no sound:
- Make sure the battery is inserted correctly
- Replace the battery if you suspect it is dead or weak
- Remove excess earwax from earmold or replace wax guard
- Check tubing for wax buildup or moisture; clean with blower tool
- Make sure hearing aid isn’t accidentally set to telecoil mode
- If you are experiencing feedback or whistling:
- Remove and reinsert your hearing aids
- Turn down the volume
- Make sure there is nothing blocking or covering your hearing aids
- Have your doctor check your ears for excess wax and remove if necessary
- If the sound is weak or distorted:
- The battery may be dead or weak; replace it
- Open the battery compartment and clean the contacts with a dry cloth
- Clean the earmold or tubing with wax removal tools; replace wax guard
These are the most common hearing aid troubleshooting tips. If you’ve tried these and your hearing aids still don’t work, you’ll need to bring them to a certified professional for repair. If you would like to discuss repairs for your hearing aid, call 310-906-4447 today to schedule a consultation and let CHG transform your hearing.